Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine can optimize your body’s functionality to maximize the healing effects of chemotherapy, radiation, surgery and natural approaches to Cancer therapy.
“Integrative oncology provides the best of gold standard, mainstream cancer care and complementary therapies to control physical and emotional symptoms, improve the quality of life and speed recovery.”
— Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Acupuncture is endorsed by the American Cancer Society for the treatment of cancer-related symptoms and is incorporated into a substantial number of major cancer centers across the country.
BENEFITS OF ACUPUNCTURE FOR CANCER PATIENTS:
• Decreased side effects from cancer treatment
• Better compliance with oncologists’ treatment strategy
• Decreased cancer symptoms
• Improved functionality
• Improved attitude/perspective
• Lifestyle adjustments proven to lower the chance of recurrence
• Shift toward wellbeing (the ultimate goal in healthcare)
ACUPUNCTURE’S EFFECTIVENESS FOR SPECIFIC CANCER-RELATED SYMPTOMS:
• Common: nausea, vomiting, fatigue, neuropathy, tumor pain, postoperative pain, poor mobility, anxiety, hot flashes, constipation, “chemo fog”
• Breast Cancer: nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, joint pain, fatigue
• Lung Cancer: shortness of breath, fatigue, edema
• Colorectal Cancer: gastrointestinal (GI) discomfort, bloating, peripheral neuropathy
• Prostate Cancer: urinary retention, erectile dysfunction, testicular pain
• Throat Cancer: neck pain, tightness, poor range of motion, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth
RISKS OF ACUPUNCTURE FOR CANCER PATIENTS
The biggest concern when considering complementary therapy is the involved risk. At Snowden Integrative Acupuncture, we adhere to safety guidelines established at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center for acupuncture therapy alongside surgical, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Developed for over a decade by a dedicated group of staff acupuncturists, oncologists and cancer researchers, you can be assured that we hold the highest standards of safe complementary cancer care. The following can help you decide if acupuncture is right for you. Please contact us with any questions you may have.
• Infection- limited risk due to sterilization practices and incredible safety record of acupuncture. Contraindicated during postoperative fever or for three months post bone marrow transplant.
• Localized treatment at surgical site, tumor, skin lesion, lymphedema, mediport- The holistic nature of acupuncture provides many treatment options away from the primary site.
• Thrombocytopenia/ poor clotting- common effect of cancer treatment not normally contraindicated. Please provide all exams to verify counts before treatment.
• Neutropenia/ poor immunity- common effect of cancer treatment not normally contraindicated. Please provide all exams to verify counts before treatment.
TIMING OF TREATMENT
With the understanding that you have a full schedule of treatment and recovery, we time treatment to optimize the benefits of acupuncture while limiting risk. Treatments will be scheduled on an individualized basis and adjusted as needed. The following is only a template to offer you and your oncologists a glimpse of our strategy.
• Chemotherapy: weekly treatment before, 1-2 days pre-cycle, once during off weeks
• Radiation: 1-2 per week during cycle
• Surgery: 2 days preoperative, postoperative when mobile
Allison Snowden L.Ac is certified in “Acupuncture for the Cancer Patient” by the integrative oncology department of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.